The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

William C. Godwin
Regent's Proceedings 172

William C. Godwin, D.D.S., Professor of Dentistry in the Department of Prosthodontics, retired from active faculty status on January 31, 1989.

Dr. Godwin was awarded the Purple Heart, air medal, and Silver Star for his service as an officer in the Air Force from 1943-47. He received his D.D.S. degree in 1951 and his M.S. degree in prosthodontics in 1954 from The University of Michigan School of Dentistry. He joined the faculty of The University of Michigan as a clinical instructor in the School of Dentistry in 1951; he was appointed assistant professor in 1955, associate professor in 1963, and professor in 1972. He maintained his private practice until 1983.

Dr. Godwin's teaching has focused primarily on undergraduate prosthodontics and on continuing education. His dedication and excellence as a preclinical and clinical teacher led to his receiving the Paul Gibbons Award as outstanding teacher of the year in 1976. Dr. Godwin has supervised the construction of mouth guards for the University's football and hockey players, and has worked to encourage dentists throughout the state to provide mouth guards for high school athletes. Beyond this, he has been instrumental in the development of model programs to provide athletes with custom filled mouth guards.

In his research, Dr. Godwin has worked to develop a mouth guard for protecting the dentition of athletes in contact sports. He has authored numerous articles and has participated in many symposia on intra oral protection and related subjects promoting the prevention of oral facial injuries to athletes. He has served as vice president of the Ann Arbor Hockey Association, president of the Ann Arbor Amateur Hockey League, and dental consultant to the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics at The University of Michigan. Dr. Godwin has also been a consulting editor for the Journal of the American Dental Association and has served as chair of the Michigan State Dental Association's committee on mouth protection. He was awarded the Governor's Trophy in Health Sciences in 1962 and a Certificate of Merit from The University of Michigan in 1982.

The Regents now salute this distinguished health educator for his dedicated service by naming William C. Godwin Professor Emeritus of Dentistry.