The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Walter M. Whitehouse
Regents' Proceedings

WALTER M. WHITEHOUSE, M.D., Professor of Radiology, will retire from W. M. Whitehouse, active faculty status as of September 30, 1982 after thirty years of dedicated service to the University.

Dr. Whitehouse graduated from The University of Michigan Medical School in 1941, spent a year of internship at University Hospital, and began his residency in the Department of Radiology in 1949. He completed his residency in 1952 and joined the faculty of the Medical School as Instructor of Radiology. He was promoted to Assistant Professor of Radiology in 1954, Associate Professor of Radiology in 1957, and full Professor of Radiology in 1963. Throughout this period of time Dr. Whitehouse distinguished himself as a loyal member of the faculty, dedicated to the highest standards of scholarship and renowned nationally as an outstanding clinical radiologist with special expertise in gastrointestinal and pulmonary radiology.

On July 1, 1965, Dr. Whitehouse was appointed Professor and Chairman of the Department of Radiology at The University of Michigan. Under his leadership the Department developed a national reputation for scholarly performance and clinical excellence. The department's medical service plan was formed and the scope of radiologic services was widened to include new imaging techniques such as super-selective angiography and ultrasonography. Approximately one hundred seventy house officers were trained under his direction. He developed the affiliation with Wayne County General Hospital for Radiology and directed the establishment of Radiology at Mott Children's Hospital. His editorship of the Year Book of Radiology for ten years is an expression of the high regard his peers had for his expertise and scholarly judgment.

Dr. Whitehouse resigned the chairmanship on June 30, 1979, at which time he began his retirement furlough. During the past three years he served as the Director of the Chest Division in the Department of Radiology. His tireless efforts in fund-raising for the Hodges Endowment Fund is a reflection of his continued loyalty and dedication to our University.

The Regents now salute this distinguished physician and educator by naming him Professor Emeritus of Radiology.