The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Walter Louis Chambers
Regents' Proceedings 520

Walter Louis Chambers, Professor of Landscape Architecture, has retired from the faculty of the School of Natural Resources as of June 30, 1973.

A native of Ohio, Professor Chambers was graduated with a bachelor's degree in landscape architecture from Ohio State University in 1929. He pursued graduate work at Harvard, receiving his master's degree in 1932. He immediately undertook a dual career in teaching and private practice, being appointed Instructor in Landscape Architecture at Harvard in 1933. He rose to Assistant Professor there in 1939, to Associate Professor in 1942, to Professor in 1955, and to Chairman of the Landscape Architecture Department in 1956. He continued his professional practice during his tenure with Harvard.

In 1958 Professor Chambers came to the University as Professor of Landscape Architecture, Chairman of the Department, and Director of the Nichols Arboretum. Under his direction the Department flourished and soon achieved national recognition as one of the foremost centers of instruction in landscape architecture in the nation.

Soon after his arrival, he assumed responsibility for refurbishing the grounds at Inglis House and, later, at Radrick Farms. The beauty of these facilities is clear testimony to the impeccable standards of excellence, which he demanded of himself and his students as well.

While illness late in his career prevented him from continuing his vigorous teaching and administrative responsibilities, his colleagues and students alike join the Regents in this testimony to the leadership and dedication, which he continually demonstrated in his work at the University. The Regents warmly bestow on him now the title Professor Emeritus of Landscape Architecture.