The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Robert Rapp
Regents' Proceedings 238

Robert Rapp, M.D., Associate Professor of Radiology has retired from active faculty status as of January 10, 1979, after a most productive career in teaching, research, patient care and administration.

Dr. Rapp received his M.D. in 1946 from Temple University School of Medicine and had an internship and residency training in diagnostic radiology at the Reading General Hospital, Reading, Pennsylvania. He then entered military service and from 1948-50 served as Associate Chief and then Chief of Diagnostic Roentgenology at the 387th Station Hospital, U.S. Army, in Stuttgart, Germany. Following his military service, he came to The University of Michigan for a three-year training period in radiology. Dr. Rapp was appointed an Instructor of Radiology in 1953 and with the opening of the Veterans Administration Hospital in October 1953 he assumed direction of that department. In 1956 he was promoted to Assistant Professor and was formally elevated to the title of Chief of Radiology at the Veterans Administration Hospital. In July of 1963 he was promoted to Associate Professor.

With the exception of his Army service, Dr. Rapp's entire professional career has been devoted to the patient care, teaching and research programs at The University of Michigan as carried out at the Veterans Administration Hospital. He has made significant contributions to our teaching program both in residency training and in the senior elective program. In addition, he participated in collaborative research with his colleagues on the staff of the Veterans Administration Hospital. As the only Chief of Radiology which that hospital has had to date, Dr. Rapp was instrumental in opening up the facilities and putting them into operation as well as more recently overseeing complete revision and expansion of the radiologic facilities which are now second to none in the Ann Arbor area. The design of the installation and the actual installation of the first body scanner in the Ann Arbor area was accomplished under his administration. This installation has made a significant contribution to the patient care programs in the Ann Arbor area and to the teaching programs in many departments of the Veterans Hospital and the University Hospital as well.

The Regents now salute this distinguished health educator for his dedicated service by naming him Associate Professor Emeritus of Radiology.