The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Ralph W. Aigier
Regent's Proceedings 569

Ralph William Aigler joined the faculty of the Law School of this University as Instructor in 1908, one year after he had completed the requirements at the University for the LL.B. degree and after his association with Rosenthal and Hamill of Chicago.

Before undertaking the study of law, he was assistant cashier in the Bellevue (Ohio) Savings Bank. He became Professor of Law in 1912 and proceeded to develop a career as teacher of law and counselor to law students that embraced forty-seven years.

Professor Aigler became a renowned and beloved teacher, and is widely known for his work on Property, on Negotiable Paper and Banking, and on Bankruptcy. His recently revised casebook on Property (jointly compiled with H. A. Bigelow and R. B. Powell), in two volumes, establishes a new standard of excellence in the Property field.

He was Acting Professor of Law at Stanford, Columbia, and Southern California universities, and repeatedly was Visiting Professor of Law during the summer at Cornell, Southern California, and Harvard universities. He was elected to the Order of the Coif and became a member of the American Law Institute, the American Bar Association, and the Association of American Law Schools, being secretary and treasurer of the last named from 1922 to 1925 and its president in 1926.

In 1918 Professor Aigler was invited to join the staff of the War Trade Board in Washington, D.C. His national reputation as a teacher and an authority upon his subject was paralleled in the field of athletics as the faculty representative of the University of Michigan in the Western Conference from 1917 to 1955. Acting in that capacity, his extraordinary skill, coupled with his keen sense of fairness and wise judgment, won for him and for his University high respect and esteem.

The Regents of the University of Michigan extend to Professor Aigler their sincere thanks for his forty-seven years of loyal and conscientious service, and confer upon him the title Professor Emeritus of Law and invite him to avail himself of all the courtesies that are customarily shown to emeritus members of the faculty.