The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Ralph M. Berry
Regents' Proceedings 1046

Ralph M. Berry, Professor of Geodetic Engineering, retired from the University on June 30, 1974 following a most productive career as a teacher and researcher for some 19 years.

A native of Washington, D.C., he received his training at the Catholic University of America where he earned his bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering in 1933.

His early professional experience from 1933-37 included work with the Maryland State Roads Commission, the National Capital Park and Planning Commission, U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey, Resettlement Administration, Continental Life Insurance Company and private practice as a surveyor.

In 1937 he served as Assistant County Surveyor in Montgomery County, Maryland and in 1938 became Chief of the Surveys' Division for the Maryland National Park and Planning Commission.

From 1941 to 1955 he served with the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey as Survey Chief, Cartographic Engineer, Chief of Map Review Unit, Chief of Operations Branch in the Division of Photogrammetry, and finally as Assistant to the Director.

In 1955 he was appointed by the College of Engineering as a Professor of Geodesy and Surveying. This title was changed to its present form in 1961. He immediately set about the task of restructuring the basic surveying courses and techniques used in the engineering college and thus successfully changed this special field from one of routine practice to one, which incorporated a much higher degree of sophistication and appreciation for the application of scientific principles to the difficult problems of measurements. Professor Berry was particularly instrumental in the development of computer application to geodetic computations.

The Regents are pleased to recognize the distinguished contributions of this able scholar and teacher as they name him Professor Emeritus of Geodetic Engineering.

Regents Proceedings, September Meeting, 1974, Page 1046