The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Bio

Patricia Rabinovitz
History of Social Work

Patricia Rabinovitz served the school as lecturer from 1944 to 1951. During this time, she was a psychiatric social worker and social welfare administrator with the Wayne County Bureau of Social Aid.

She held B.A. and M.S.W. degrees from Wayne State University. In 1952 she joined the school full-time as assistant professor, retiring in 1968 as professor emeritus. She taught courses in social welfare administration and social services and provided leadership in these areas of the curriculum. She was actively engaged in community service, especially through presentation of institutes to public welfare departments and in participation in federal government commissions on health and welfare.

In naming Rabinovitz professor emerita, the regents said, "Throughout her tenure here, Mrs. Rabinovitz remained on call as a leader of workshops and institutes for the National Conference on Social Work and the American Public Welfare Administration.

Professionally active from coast to coast, she continued also to exert leadership in programs of social welfare in the community and the state. In consequence of her good offices here, students in social work became notably better prepared than before for administrative posts in social welfare agencies. In courses prepared and taught for the School of Nursing and for the Sociology Department of the L.S. & A. College, she attractively presented her profession to students only obliquely concerned with it" (Board of Regents, 1968).