The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Obituary

Norman Fritz Miller

Norman F. Miller, M.D. Boca Raton, Florida, formerly of Ann Arbor, Michigan died Monday evening, October 29, 1990 in Asheville, NC. He attended the University of Michigan in both the undergraduate school and medical school, receiving his M.D. in 1920. He spent four years as an intern and resident in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Michigan and was subsequently appointed an Assistant Professor in the Department, the fourth person to achieve that rank.

In 1926, Dr. Miller moved to the State University of Iowa Medical School as an Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology and was promoted to Professor there in 1928. He remained at the University of Iowa until 1931 when he returned to Ann Arbor to assume the Chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and the Bates Professorship of Diseases of Women and Children. He retained that position until retirement at the end of 1963.

During that time, Dr. Miller developed one of the outstanding departments in the United States. The list of faculty members and trainees who achieved honors both at the University of Michigan and elsewhere is impressive.

Dr. Miller was a member of the American Gynecological Society and served as its Secretary from 1947 to 1951 and as its President in 1957. He was Secretary of the Section of Obstetrics and Gynecology of the American Medical Association from 1937 to 1940 and was Chairman of this group in 1941. He was President of the Central Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists in 1932 and 1933, and he was a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, serving as a member of the Board of Governors and the Executive Committee. He was Second Vice-President of the American College of Surgeons in 1965. Dr. Miller was a Founding Fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and served as a member of the Editorial Board of the journal "Obstetrics and Gynecology'' which is the official publication of the College. He was a director of the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology from 1940 to 1949 and served as Vice-President in 1949.

Throughout all of Dr. Miller's tenure as Chairman of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, he maintained his interest in clinical care, research and teaching. The Department flourished under his guidance and was in the forefront in the development of new technology and patient care. Because of his accomplishments and the honor with which his graduates have held him, the Norman F. Miller Gynecologic Society was founded in 1956 to celebrate his twenty-fifth anniversary as Department Chairman. This society continues to the present time and provided the major impetus in the campaign to fund the Norman F. Miller Professorship of Gynecology.

He is survived by two sons, Norman F. Miller Jr., of Arden, NC, and Edward K. Miller, M.D of Tierra Verde, FL; one-daughter, Mrs. Lindley (Mary) Johnson, of Asheville, NC; one brother, Carl G. Miller, of Boca Raton, FL; thirteen grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his wife Dorothy Kingsford Miller, who died in 1986.