The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Norman Fritz Miller
Regents' Proceedings 643

The distinguished gynecologist Norman Fritz Miller, for more than thirty years Chairman of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, formally relinquished his active faculty status at the end of the past year. Dr. Miller first came here from Beloit College to complete his undergraduate work and embark on his medical education. Remaining here to pursue his specialty and instruct in it he taught for an interval at the University of Iowa and then, in 1931, returned permanently to Ann Arbor to assume the duties and titles of the late Reuben Peterson, retiring head of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Bates Professor of the Diseases of Women and Children.

Dr. Miller united the insight and technical skill of a great physician and surgeon with the power of clear and apt communication. He was able, therefore, to sustain and strengthen the eminent tradition of medical education for which his department had already become known. In recent years he employed television most imaginatively to extend the usefulness of his clinical demonstrations. His research, meanwhile, contributed significantly to scientific and clinical knowledge of malignancies in the female reproductive tract. To his gifts as physician, teacher, and scientist, finally, he added the executive capacities and social acumen necessary to a department head.

The honors heaped upon Dr. Miller have included a directorship of the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology the presidency of the American Gynecological Society and of the American Gynecological Club, and membership on the governing board of the American College of Surgeons. In 1963 his University colleagues voted him a Distinguished Faculty Achievement Award. A more enduring honor than these, perhaps, is the respectful emulation of students and junior colleagues which will make itself felt for years to come.

The Regents of the University would now express to him their own admiration and profound thanks as they confer on him the title Professor Emeritus of Obstetrics and Gynecology.