The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Maynard J. Klein
Regents' Proceedings 782

Maynard Klein, Professor of Music, has retired from active faculty status as of May 31, 1977, after an extraordinarily successful career as conductor, teacher, and editor.

Born in Metamora, Ohio, where he received his primary and secondary education, Prof. Klein subsequently attended Michigan State Normal University where he received the Bachelor of Science degree in 1933. He received the Master of Music degree from The University of Michigan in 1934.

After serving for 13 years as Professor of Choral Music at Tulane University, Prof. Klein joined the faculty of the School of Music in 1948. For the next 28 years he was chiefly responsible for the extensive program offered by the School of Music, founding and conducting such organizations as the University Choir, the Arts Chorale, the Tudor Singers, and the Rackham Symphony Choir, which later became the official choir of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.

He was known as Uncle Maynard to generations of students here in Ann Arbor as well as at Interlochen, where he served for 30 years as director of the vocal music program of the National Music Camp. The making of music under his direction was an experience never to be forgotten, characterized as it always was by the highest artistic ideals and enthusias

m. The Regents now salute this distinguished conductor, teacher, and editor for all of his contributions to music at the University and in the musical world at large by naming him Professor Emeritus of Music and Director Emeritus of University Choirs.