The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Bio

Mary Elizabeth Covert
School of Nursing

Mary Elizabeth Covert, M.Mus., Assistant Social Director (Couzens Hall)

B.M., Bethany College, Lindsborg, Kansas, 1945; M.Mus., University of Michigan, 1948.

Assistant Social Director (Couzens Hall), University of Michigan School of Nursing, 1951-1953.

Covert, from Tucumcari, New Mexico, attended summer sessions at the University at the School of Music in the early 1950s. About 1953, Covert was married to Robert W. Dumm, a pianist, composer, music teacher, and writer. In Ann Arbor, they founded and directed a music school at 1331 Olivia Avenue that grew to an enrollment of 365 in four years, according to a news account. By 1960 Robert Dumm was dean of the Boston Conservatory of Music and later was professor of piano pedagogy at Catholic University in Washington, D.C. He was noted for conducting piano workshops for music educators throughout the United States.