The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Bio

Marilyn J. Schuurmans Rosenbaum
School of Nursing

Marilyn J. Schuurmans Rosenbaum, B.S.N., R.N., Instructor in Nursing (Foundations)

B.S.N., University of Michigan School of Nursing, 1958; M.S. in psychiatric nursing, Rutgers University.
Instructor in Nursing (Foundations), University of Michigan School of Nursing, 1960-1962.

After earning her master’s degree Schuurmans was an assistant nurse executive in the Division of Psychiatry at Montefiore Hospital and Medical Center, Bronx, New York, and a psychiatric nurse specialist. In 1987, after her marriage, she joined the faculty of Central Michigan University as an instructor in the Counseling Center, advancing to assistant professor.

Publications include “Five Functions of the Group Therapist,” AJN Vol. 64, No. 12 (December 1964) and “The Psychotic Mother and the Healthy Infant on the Psychiatric Unit,” PERSPECTIVES IN PSYCHIATRIC CARE Vol 4., Issue 4 (August 1966).

Schuurmans graduated from Lansing Eastern High School in 1953 and attended Albion College for a year before transferring to the University of Michigan. An avid singer, she was a member of choral groups at Albion and the University of Michigan. Schuurmans was married to Dr. Ira Sanford Rosenbaum, a clinical psychologist and associate professor of clinical psychology at Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Michigan. She and her husband retired to Colorado Springs, Colorado.