The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Michigan Portraits XV

Louis Phillips Hall
The Michigan Alumnus 237

Michigan Portraits-XV

Louis P. Hall is a citizen of Ann Arbor though it happens that he was 
born in Toledo, Ohio, in 1860. The Hall family has been a part of Ann Arbor
 for many years. Israel Avenue, now Cambridge Road, was named after his
 father and Olivia after his mother. So there isn't very much about Ann Arbor 
and the University that Dr. Hall does not know.

In addition to being a citizen of Ann
 Arbor, which means that he has always been identified with every worth, while civic
 and benevolent enterprise, Dr. Hall has been associated with the Dental College since
 his graduation in 1889. In 1903 he became professor of Operative and Clinical Dentistry
 a position be still holds.

Dr. Hall was graduated from the Ann Arbor High School in
1870, and after a year in the Literary Department of the University engaged in business 
for six years. Then he took up his training for the professional career, which has 
brought him into personal touch with dental practitioners, literally all over the world.