The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Lawrence Carnahan Maugh
Regents' Proceedings 804

Lawrence Carnahan Maugh, who has taught civil engineering at the University since 1925, has retired from the active faculty at the age of sixty-nine.

A native of Ontario, Professor Maugh came to Michigan as a boy and earned a baccalaureate in civil engineering here in 1921. He then taught for three years at South Dakota State College, where he also earned a master's degree, and then served as a bridge designer for one year for the Indiana State Highway Commission. Returning to the Civil Engineering Department here, he earned a doctorate in engineering mechanics in 1934 and was raised through the several faculty ranks to a professorship in 1948.

Over the years Professor Maugh designed a substantial number and diversity of structures, including steel bridges, reinforced concrete chimneys, rigid airships, and dams. On leave from the University during the Second World War, he served as a structural consultant with the Goodyear Aircraft Corporation. His research on structural mechanisms and his book Statically Indeterminate Structures earned him an international fame. Within his Department, which he served as acting chairman and in which he was the senior man in structural engineering for about fifteen years, he taught advanced courses in indeterminate frame structures and structural models and long selected and guided the doctoral candidates. He was, in addition, a dutiful citizen and respected committeeman of the Engineering College.

His faculty fellows are abidingly grateful to him for his able and earnest teaching and administrative service and for his significant contributions to the professional stature of the College of Engineering. The Regents of the University tender him their warmest thanks as well, and trust that, as Professor Emeritus of Civil Engineering, he will benefit this institution by continued association with it.

Regents’ Proceedings, January 1971, Page 804