The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Bio

Lavina M. Robins
School of Nursing

Lavina M. Robins, B.S.N., R.N., Instructor in Nursing (Nursing Arts—Foundations in Nursing)

B.S.N., University of Michigan School of Nursing, 1951.

Instructor in Nursing (Nursing Arts—Foundations in Nursing), University of Michigan School of Nursing, May 1953-1955. Robins resigned from this position June 30, 1955.

Subsequently, Robins joined the staff of The Benjamin Rose Hospital, a hospital for prolonged illness in Cleveland, Ohio. She participated as a nursing investigator in a multidisciplinary study of the progressive loss of abilities and progressive increase in death rate of aged patients. Functional independence of patients in bathing, dressing, toileting, transferring, and feeding was assessed as well as continence status. The report, published in the Journal of Chronic Disease in January 1959, defined an index of independence in activities of daily living that could be used to evaluate deterioration in health status and its progression. A report on the prognostic indices in fracture of the hip was published the following year.