The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Bio

Julia Depuy Smith
School of Nursing

Julia Depuy Smith, M.A., R.N., Associate Professor of Public Health Nursing, School of Nursing and School of Public Health

A.B., Hollins, Roanoke, Virginia, 1923; Diploma, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 1928; M.A., Columbia University, 1937.

Director, Instructive Visiting Nurse Association, Richmond, Virginia; Director of Nurses, Polio Hospital, Greensboro, North Carolina; Resident Lecturer in Public Health Nursing, University of Michigan School of Nursing, 1949-1951; Associate Professor of Public Health Nursing, University of Michigan School of Nursing and School of Public Health, 1951-1954; Associate Professor of Public Health Nursing, University of North Carolina School of Nursing, 1954--.

Smith participated in the College Counseling Program sponsored by the United States Public Health Service and the National Nursing Council for War Service in September, October and November of 1944 during a short-term leave of absence from Instructive Visiting Nurse Association. In this role she visited universities, colleges and junior colleges in Tennessee, Illinois, Georgia, and South Carolina to speak on the urgent need for more and better qualified nurses. She also held individual and group conferences with students, administrators, faculty members, and vocational guidance personnel and presented information on the United States Cadet Nurse Corps, administered by the United States Public Health Service.

The first X-ray photograph was made January 12, 1896 by Julia Dupuy Smith’s father, Dr. Henry Louis Smith, professor of physics at Davidson College in North Carolina. He used a human hand taken from a corpse and fired a bullet into it. He then took a fifteen-minute exposure which revealed the location of the bullet in the hand.