The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Bio

James Gerrit Van Zwaluwenburg
The Michigan Alumnus 75-85

James Gerrit Van Zwaluwenburg, who becomes Junior Professor of Clinical Roentgenology, was born May 5, 1874, in Ottawa County, Mick.

After receiving his early education in the Preparatory Department of Hope College, he entered the University, graduating from the Literary Department in 1898. Ten years later, in February 1908, he received the M.D. degree from the University.

For the last two years of his college course he acted, as assistant in Qualitative Chemistry, and from 1900 to 1902 he was chemist for the Grasselli Chemical Co., of Cleveland. The following two years he was assistant superintendent for the United Zinc & Chemical Co., and in
 1905 he returned to the University as demonstrator in Anatomy and student in the Medical Department.

He was made assistant in Internal Medicine in 1907, and in 1908 became an instructor in Physical Diagnosis and demon
strator of Clinical Medicine, the position he has held until his recent promotion.

Professor Van Zwaluwenburg has made several reports of studies of the circulation in the current medical journals.

He is married, and has two children.