The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Notes

Helen E. Brooks
The Michigan Engineer 58-65

The resignation of Dr. Alice Gray 
Snyder from the directorship of the 
Barbour Gymnasium necessitated the
 discovery of a successor who would
 carry on her work and at the same 
time broaden and develop it.

It was
 determined by the President and the 
Regents that the appointee must have 
not only training as a teacher of 
physical culture but in medicine as
 well. This consideration narrowed
 the field of candidates considerably.


The appointment was then offered to 
Dr. Helen E. Brooks, of Gloucester,
 Mass.

Dr. Brooks was born in Rock
port, Mass., and her professional train
ing has all been received in the East.
 She is a graduate of the Boston Nor
mal School of Gymnastics and also
 of the Woman's Medical College of 
Pennsylvania. She has taught physi
cal training in the public schools of
 Gloucester and Peabody, Mass., at 
the Rhode Island State College, and 
at the Clarke School for the Deaf at
 Northampton, Mass.