The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Bio

Grace E. Tucker
School of Nursing

Grace E. Tucker, B.S.N., R.N., Instructor in Nursing (Medical-Surgical Nursing Specialties and Outpatient Department Nursing)

B.S.N., Keuka College, Keuka Park, New York, 1956.

Instructor in Nursing (Medical-Surgical Nursing Specialties), University of Michigan School of Nursing, 1959-1961; Instructor in Nursing, University of Michigan School of Nursing, and Supervisor, Outpatient Department Nursing, University of Michigan Hospital, 1961-1963.

Tucker resigned from the University of Michigan effective July 15, 1963 and joined the administrative staff of Grace-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Connecticut. In November 1963, Tucker was a nurse aboard S.S. HOPE, a hospital ship owned by the United States government that was leased to Project HOPE (Health Opportunity for People Everywhere), a non-governmental agency, to conduct medical teaching and treatment missions in underserved areas of the world. That first trip was to Ecuador, and subsequent tours over the next six years were taken to Guiana, Ceylon, and Tunisia. In between tours, Tucker remained affiliated with Grace-New Haven Hospital.