The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Bio

Geraldine Skinner
School of Nursing

Geraldine Skinner, B.S., R.N., Professor of Nursing

Diploma, University of Michigan School of Nursing, 1940; B.S., University of Michigan, 1937; M.S., University of Chicago.

Instructing Supervisor and Assistant Head Nurse, Contagious Unit, University Hospital; Instructor in Surgical Specialties Nursing (Orthopedics and Gynecology), University of Michigan School of Nursing, 1940-1944; Night Instructor, 1944-1948; Assistant Professor of Nursing and Supervisor of Surgical Nursing Specialties, 1949-1951. In California, through a series of positions, Skinner developed her special interest in continuing education for nurses.

In 1966 Skinner returned to the School of Nursing as Associate Professor of Nursing. In the fall of 1967 she organized and directed a project of continuing education for nurses, in heart disease, cancer, and stroke nursing, under a grant from the Michigan Association for Regional Medical Programs. She was promoted to Professor of Nursing in 1970.

Skinner retired from the School of Nursing in 1977. She died on August 26, 1988 in Ann Arbor.