The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Gerald A. O’Connor
Regents' Proceedings 91

Gerald A. O'Connor, M.D., associate professor of surgery, Medical School, retired from active faculty status on June 30, 2000, following a productive career as a clinician and teacher.

Dr. O'Connor received his B.S. degree from Loras College, Dubuque, Iowa, in 1949 and his M.D. degree from Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska, in 1953. He completed his internship and residency at the University of Michigan and then went into private practice at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital. Dr. O'Connor joined the University of Michigan faculty as a clinical instructor of surgery in 1958 and began to develop a practice specializing in sports medicine. He was promoted to clinical assistant professor in 1964 and clinical associate professor in 1980.

Dr. O'Connor has been the team physician for the University of Michigan Athletic Department since 1964. Many institutions throughout the United States have adopted the program he developed with Dr. Robert Anderson for the delivery of health care to student-athletes.

In 1984, Dr. O'Connor was named associate professor of surgery and medical director of MedSport at Domino's Farms. Under his direction, MedSport has grown into an important clinical center with 5 orthopaedists, 18,000 annual outpatient visits, and 67,000 annual physical therapy visits.

The Regents now salute this distinguished health educator for his dedicated service by naming Gerald A. O'Connor associate professor emeritus of surgery.