The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Fred Jenner Hodges
Regents' Proceedings 34

Fred Jenner Hodges, who for thirty-five years has sustained and strengthened the traditional excellence of the University in radiological medicine, became eligible for an emeritus appointment at the end of the past fiscal year.

After his graduation from college at The University of Wisconsin, Dr. Hodges earned his medical degree from Washington University in St. Louis and subsequently returned to Madison. There he taught successively psychiatry, physiology, and roentgenology at The University of Wisconsin-giving early evidence of his professional versatility and balance-and served as roentgenologist at St. Mary's Hospital. In 1931 he accepted the chairmanship of the Department of Roentgenology here, being the third in a succession of eminent medical scientists and physicians to occupy that post.

Arriving at a time when the scientific knowledge of radiology was being steadily broadened and its clinical applications vastly expanded, Dr. Hodges had at once to bring his notable administrative talents to bear on problems of diversification and growth. He saw to the appropriate relocation of special diagnostic and therapeutic functions of his department and to the reordering of its central quarters. Mass surveys devoted to detecting pulmonary diseases were instituted and subsequently extended. His sense of system and order was further expressed in the superior consecutive record of cancer treatment which his department built up over the years, and which was at length to suggest to him, and to Dr. Bugher of the Atomic Energy Commission, a comparable program of treatment and investigation by means of newly available radioisotopes. That program is being carried out in the radiation therapy center dedicated in 1955, which is one of Dr. Hodges' lasting monuments.

A yet more impressive monument is the skill with which physicians whom he has trained-together now with the trainees of trainees to the second and third generation-are employing X rays and radioactive materials in research and clinical practice throughout the nation. For he early extended the curriculum in radiology for all medical students so that physicians themselves might take full command of radiological techniques. And he saw to it that the knowledge of technical and clinical advances was disseminated as quickly as possible, through such novel and flexible means as closed-circuit television. He further significantly influenced the course of radiological medicine as chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission's Advisory Committee for Biology and Medicine and as adviser to the Army, the Public Health Service, the Veterans Administration, the American Cancer Society, and other organizations or agencies. Locally, he was active in initiating and directing the medical and biological programs of the Phoenix Project. Within the Medical School, he was a valued administrative counselor and member of executive and deliberative committees. Yet his special and organizational duties never weaned his attention away from the total wellbeing of patients or from the integrity of medical science as a university discipline.

As they appoint him Professor Emeritus of Radiology, the Regents of the University join his colleagues and former students in expressing admiration and gratitude for his many accomplishments and for the personal qualities, which made these possible. And they extend their warmest thanks to him for continuing to lend his seasoned counsel to the School, which he has served so faithfully and well.