The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Bio

Emma Jean Blasko Hija
School of Nursing

Emma Jean Blasko Hija, B.S.N., R.N., Instructor in Nursing (Surgical Nursing Specialties)

Diploma, St. Elizabeth School of Nursing, Danville, Illinois, 1942; B.S.N., Wayne State University, Detroit, 1948.

1st Lieutenant, Army Nurse Corps, 1943-1945, serving overseas in North Africa and Italy. Various nursing positions in Little Company of Mary Hospital, Evergreen Park, Illinois and Veterans’ Administration Hospital, Dayton, Ohio. Part-time nursing work at Herman Kiefer Hospital, Detroit, during student days at Wayne State University; Instructor in Nursing (Surgical Nursing Specialties), University of Michigan School of Nursing, September 1948 to July 1949.

Blasko married John Joseph Hija in November 1948. She resigned from the University in July 1949 because of her husband’s change of position and their leaving Ann Arbor.

In Detroit, their new home, Hija joined the faculty of Herman Kiefer Hospital as an instructor. Nursing students came there from all over the State, for classes for three months, to learn about caring for patients with infectious disease, she said. When Herman Kiefer closed its doors, she transferred to Detroit General Hospital and worked in supervision and administration until her retirement in 1980. At age 95, in July 2017, she remains alert and in her own home in northern Michigan.