The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Dominic D. Dziewiatkowski
Regents' Proceedings 360

Dominic Donald Dziewiatkowski has retired from active faculty status as of June 30, 1985, after an outstanding career in teaching, research, and administration in the School of Dentistry and in the Department of Biological Chemistry of the Medical School.

Born in Chicago and raised in rural southwest Michigan, Professor Dziewiatkowski received his A.B. degree in chemistry and biology at Western State Teachers College in 1939. He went on to The University of Michigan, where he earned the M. S. degree in 1942 and his Ph.D. degree in biochemistry in 1943.

From 1943 to 1946, Professor Dziewiatkowski taught biochemistry at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, and then at the Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health from 1946 to 1948. In addition, he initiated major research on the metabolism of S-sulfate during these years. In 1948, he took a position at the Rockefeller University in New York.

In 1967, Professor Dziewiatkowski was named to his professorship in the Department of Oral Biology at The University of Michigan's School of Dentistry, with a joint appointment as professor of biological chemistry in the Medical School. In his career at the School of Dentistry, he served with distinction in his administrative roles as the first permanent chairman of the Department of Oral Biology and as the first director of the Dental Research Institute. With the goal of forming closer ties between the basic sciences and clinical dentistry, he reorganized the curriculum in oral biology. He is particularly well known for his contributions in the biochemistry of connective tissues, including the characteristics of the proteoglycans and how these interact with other components in these tissues, such as byaluronic acid, collagen and other proteins.

Professor Dziewiatkowski is known nationally and internationally for his research and has published extensively in areas of bone and cartilage metabolism, connective tissue, and the role of complex proteins in bone calcification. He has been a leader in many scientific organizations, has served on many university committees, and has acted as consultant to the National Institute for Dental Research, the Veterans Administration, and the Governor's Task Force on Flourides.

The Regents now salute this distinguished health educator for his dedicated service by naming Dominic Donald Dziewiatkowski Professor Emeritus of Dentistry and Professor Emeritus of Biological Chemistry.