The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Classroom Profile

Charles N. Davisson
The Michigan Alumnus


CHARLES N. DAVISSON, M.B.A'40,
 Ph.D.'45, Professor of Marketing in 
the School of Business Administration,
 joined the University of Michigan faculty 
in 1942, after having taught at the University of Missouri for two years. He cur
rently serves as Director of The Executive
 Development Program of the School, a
 month's program successfully launched last 
summer, designed for advanced training
 of business executives. Professor Davisson 
received the A.B. degree at Earlham Col
lege in 1938. He has recently been Direc
tor of the Auto-Parts Study, a University 
research project made possible by a gen
erous grant from the industry. He has 
spent much time in the field interview
ing business executives, and his book, The
 Marketing of Automotive Parts, was recently published. Professor Davisson is 
married to the former Ora Beatrice De Vilbiss. They have two daughters, Cheryl 
Anne and Beatrice Lynne.