The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Byron Avery Soule
Regents' Proceedings 1144

Byron Avery Soule, B.S. (Chem.) '18, M.S.(Chem.) '20, Sc.D. '24, was Assistant to the Director of the Chemical Laboratory from 1919 to 1920. He became Instructor in Chemistry in 1920; Assistant Professor in 1933; Associate Professor in 1943.

From 1941 to 1942 he was in residence as Fellow in Chemistry at the Library of Congress. He held the same position the following year in absentia. A member of the American Chemical Society from 1917, he became Assistant Editor of its Chemical Abstracts in 1942, and Treasurer of its Chemical Literature Division in 1948.

In 1933 he was elected a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. In 1948 Professor Soule was appointed to the Council of the Kresge-Hooker Scientific Library at Wayne University. He served on the scholarship, the library, and the curriculum committees of the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts.

For many years he was Chairman of the Chemistry Library Committee. In granting him his request that he retire at the age of sixty-five, the Regents thank Professor Soule for his loyal service to the University at all levels but particularly for his sound and exact teaching. They furthermore wish him many years of health and happiness and confer upon him the title Associate Professor Emeritus of Chemistry and invite him to avail himself of the courtesies that are shown to emeritus members of the faculty.