The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Bio

Barbara McCready Dieterich
School of Nursing

Barbara McCready Dieterich, B.S.N., R.N., Instructor in Nursing (Medical-Surgical Nursing)
B.S.N., University of Michigan School of Nursing, 1951.

Instructor in Nursing (Surgical Nursing), University of Michigan School of Nursing, 1952-1954; Instructor in Nursing (Medical-Surgical Nursing), ibid., 1954-1955.

Dieterich, a 1946 graduate of University High School, gave fifty dollars to the University as the initial gift to the Fund for Research and Development in Education, established by the Regents in 1963. In May 1963, Dieterich was a key player in the ill-fated drive by the Ann Arbor community to save University High School from closing. She drafted a letter of appeal that was sent to all alumni of the school, explaining why “a small school is the best medium for a high school education” and suggesting actions that alumni could take.

Barbara M. McCready was married to Gordon Churchill Dieterich, M.D., an instructor in psychiatry at University of Michigan, about 1954. She died in Ann Arbor in 1982 at age 53.