The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Alexander M. Nelson
Regent's Proceedings 497

Alexander M Nelson, Assistant Professor of Education and Consultant in the Bureau of School Services, retired from active faculty status as of August 31, 1982. He had an active career as an educator in school administration and as a consultant to school boards and administrators.

Dr. Nelson received his B.S. degree from Eastern Michigan University in 1948; he completed his M.A. in 1950 and his Ph.D. in 1970, both from The University of Michigan.

Professor Nelson began his teaching career in the Milan Public Schools in 1948. During the time he taught in Milan, he also served as a vocational education teacher and counselor at the Milan Federal Correctional Institution. He served as principal of the Britton-Macon Public Schools from 1950 to 1951. Between 1951 and 1968, Dr. Nelson served as superintendent of various school districts in Michigan: Hersey, Hesperia, Richmond, Menominee, and Northville. Upon completion of his Ph.D. degree, he joined The University of Michigan as a consultant in the Bureau of School Services and a lecturer in the School of Education.

Most recently, Dr. Nelson has taught graduate level courses in school-community relations. His expertise in this field was enhanced by his extensive experience as a consultant to numerous Michigan school boards and administrators. In addition, he conducted about 30-40 accreditation visits per year to secondary schools around the state. As an advisor to Letter to Schools, a publication of the Bureau of School Services, which is circulated to educators in the state, Dr. Nelson was a regular contributor of articles. Although Dr. Nelson's major appointment was as Consultant in the Bureau, he maintained his teaching load in the School of Education and served on many doctoral dissertation committees.

In view of his many accomplishments, the Regents now salute this distinguished educator by naming him Assistant Professor Emeritus of Education.