The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Albert J. Weber
Regent's Proceedings 1081

Albert J Weber, Professor of Art in the School of Art, retired from active faculty status on December 31, 1986, following a most prolific career as an artist, teacher, and researcher at The University of Michigan.

A native of Chicago, Professor Weber attended Northwestern University from 1939-40 and the University of Chicago from 1948-52. He received a B.F.A. degree in 1950 from the School of Art Institute of Chicago. In 1952, he received a M.A.A. degree, magna cum laude, in painting and art history from the Centro de Estudios Universitarios, Mexico City College, Mexico. That same year, he was the recipient of a Fulbright Fellowship for study in Latin America. Appointed to the faculty of The University of Michigan in 1955 as an instructor of painting and drawing, he was promoted to assistant professor in 1959, associate professor in 1963, and professor in 1968.

Within the School of Art, Professor Weber served as chairman of the counseling committee, and as a member of the scheduling, scholarship, and exhibition committees. He was active in recruitment and counseling of students, working diligently to recruit quality students to The University of Michigan. An avid researcher and traveler, Professor Weber was the recipient of six Horace H. Rackham faculty research grants. He was a vigorous exhibitor, who exhibited both nationally and internationally. His work is included in many permanent collections, including those of the Ford Motor Company in Dearborn, Michigan, the Smithsonian Institute Archives of American Art, the Butler Institute of American Art, and the Carnegie Institute in Pittsburgh. He has been a member of the Ann Arbor Art Association, and has also served as a juror for many local artist' groups.

The Regents now acknowledge the contributions of this distinguished faculty member for his dedicated service by naming Albert J. Weber Professor Emeritus of Art.