The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Bio

Alan N. Connor
The History of Social Work

Alan Connor came to the school as an assistant professor on a U.S. Children's Bureau grant, remaining on the faculty for several years. Prior to this appointment, Connor was community development field director, American Friends Service Committee, Zambia, Africa. Connor had completed the M.S.W. degree at Michigan and undertook doctoral studies in the School of Education while on the faculty, completing his Ph.D. with a dissertation entitled "Citizen Participation in the Community Development Block Grant Program." At Michigan Connor taught in a number of curricular areas, including child welfare, social group work, social casework, community organization, and field instruction.