The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Bio

Ada Hawkins
School of Nursing

Ada Hawkins, M.A., B.S., R.N., Associate Professor of Nursing and Assistant Director, School of Nursing

Diploma, University of Oklahoma School of Nursing, 1928; B.S., University of Oklahoma, 1932; M.A., Nursing Education, University of Chicago, 1950.

Assistant Nursing Arts Instructor, 1928-1932, and Head Nurse, 1932-1933, University of Oklahoma Hospital; Science Instructor, Jewish Hospital, Cincinnati, 1933-1938; Science Instructor, Cook County School of Nursing, Chicago, 1938-1943; Assistant Professor of Nursing and Assistant Director of Nursing Education, 1943-1944; Associate Professor of Nursing and Assistant Director of the School of Nursing, 1944-1951.

Hawkins resigned from these positions on August 30, 1951 to become Director of the School of Nursing at University of Oklahoma, serving as Director from 1951 to 1960, and then remaining on staff as Professor of Nursing until her retirement in 1972. Hawkins was named Professor Emeritus by the Board of Regents, the first nurse in Oklahoma to retire with that title.

In 1983 Hawkins posed dramatically with an afghan she created for the nurses’ crafts carnival, which may be viewed on the web site of the Oklahoma Historical Society:
https://gateway.okhistory.org/ark:/67531/metadc335739/

Hawkins was inducted into the Oklahoma Women’s Hall of Fame in 1985