The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Aare Kotivalo Lahti
Regents' Proceedings 878

Aarre K. Lahti, Professor of Art, has elected to retire somewhat before the mandatory age and the Regents now reluctantly accede to his request.

A native of Helsinki, Finland, he received his academic and professional training at the Art Institute of Chicago where he received his certificate in 1932 and his B.F.A. degree in 1947. He studied in Europe from 1932 to 1933 and while there exhibited paintings at the Salon d'Automne in Paris.

From 1936 to 1938 he operated his own Gallery of Fine Art and Photography and subsequently served as designer and supervisor of the Upper Peninsula W.P.A. Art and Craft Projects. He was appointed an instructor in Design in 1941 and was successively appointed Assistant Professor in 1948, Associate Professor in 1953, and Professor in 1958.

In his specialty area of industrial design, he has been a skillful and effective teacher. His students accord him their highest regard and commendation. His research activities have included such diverse areas as work on veneers, prefabricated housing, and design motivation studies in Finland. He has served as consultant and lecturer for many industrial and professional organizations. The Regents now entitle this dedicated teacher and gifted artist Professor Emeritus of Art.